Monday, March 12, 2012

Sunday In Paris

Another very quick update, not a lot is open on Sunday in Paris so a good excuse just to chill out a bit.

Started the morning by heading the to the laundromat to do a load of washing...



I couldn't read a single thing and was getting no where. After about 5 minutes an older woman saw I was struggling, and started rattling off in French about what to do. I quickly tried to reply, 'No Francais' so she began showing me what to do. She opened the washer, I put my clothes in, she took me to the pay machine and got me my detergent, this whole time making hand gestures but also explaining in French. I only managed to pick up that the dryer, once the washing machine had finished, was going to cost me 1 Euro. Once my washing was going, I thanked her "Merci, merci beaucoup" and headed down to the supermarket. However it was closed on a Sunday. So I found a smaller 'Supermarche' and picked up some basics, pasta, a power adapter (yes the one I bought back home did not fit, so my laptop was dead) a big hunk of brie (180gm) for about 3NZD and as I walked back to the Laundromat I picked up a baguette from the boulangerie. I picked up my washing and enjoyed my lunch back at Nick's.

Yum!!

Later that evening Nick and I went down to the cinema and saw "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" which thankfully is an American movie about a young boy trying to come to terms with his fathers death after he was killed in 9/11. Different, but enjoyable. Then we went for a walk around and I got to see a few sights...

Champs Elysees
La Madeleine Temple

Looking across the Seine 


Of Course





Amazingly spectacular view, very breathtaking, with a great sunset. It was a crisp evening but virtually no wind. We took a moment and sat on the bridge soaking up the scene. We took the tube back to Montmartre and we whipped up a delicious Spaghetti carbonara, (well mostly just Nick, I just chopped the onions) for dinner and had an early-ish night.


I think you're basically up to date now, today I haven't done a lot except get frustrated with myself because my French is pathetic. All I can manage is Merci, Ca-va, Bonjour/Bonsoir, Oui, Sil-vous plait, and my new favourite, Parlez-vous anglais (do you speak english) which most people speak a little. Yesterday a women in the apartment courtyard said "Bonsoir" (good evening) I went to respond in the same way but I wanted to say hello as well and all that came out was "Baah.." ......I had just made a farm animal sound at this woman. *Facepalm*
I just put on a big smile (not like a crazy wide eyed smile) but just a genuine smile and kept walking hoping she doubted her own hearing.

I'm sure I'll get better....

4 comments:

  1. LOL! (Literally at the "Baah" - that's awesome). Thanks for all the updates Alex! Gald to see you're having such an awesome time :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too - can just picture it! Glad you are having a great time and finding your way around :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be fluent in all the important things after a week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm rather envious. I've never managed night photos like that. Wonderful. And, yes, great cheese in France and the UK is a fraction of the price in NZ. As we are a huge milk producer I've never quite understood why.

    ReplyDelete